Moutohorā : Island Sanctuary Tour
- Duration: 4 Hours (approx.)
- Product code: MIS
Discover the rare beauty of one of New Zealand’s little-known treasures
Moutohorā/Whale Island is a pest-free oasis that is home to a number of New Zealand's rare and endangered plants, birds and reptiles. Keep an eye out for a threatened tūturiwhatu/New Zealand dotterel, boisterous tīeke/North Island saddleback, Tuatara, or kākāriki/red-crowned parakeet as you journey through the regenerated native bush before you dig yourself a soothing geothermal spring pool at Onepū Bay, Moutohorā’s secluded hot water beach.
This is your opportunity to see New Zealand’s wildlife as nature intended it and shows what can be achieved when a concentrated effort on conservation is made, managed and protected.
Tour of Moutohorā Highlights
- 4-hour guided tour of one of New Zealand’s most protected wildlife sanctuaries
- 15-minute boat journey to Moutohorā/Whale Island aboard a comfortable catamaran
- Visit a kekeno/NZ fur seal colony
- Abundant birdlife including tūturiwhatu/New Zealand dotterel, tīeke/North Island saddleback, kākāriki/red-crowned parakeet, tui and bellbirds
- Swim at secluded hot water beach Onepū/Sulphur Bay
- Dig your own private hot springs pool at Onepū/Sulphur Bay
- Professional and fully trained crew and guides
Each ticket price includes a landing fee supporting the Department of Conservation's work on the island and a contribution to support the Whakatāne Coastguard.
We are a Qualmark Gold Endorsed Activity.